The Nanny State Hates The Cars On Your Front Lawn
As goes Port Arthur, so goes Houston.
The noble Golden Triangle town recently passed an ordinance banning people from parking their cars on their front lawns.
Always eager to take their lifestyle cues from Port Arthur, the Houston City Council has followed suit with an ordinance of its own.
Homeowners associations will be able to petition residents, and if 60 percent of the residents agree to ban cars from laws, than goddammit cars will be banned from lawns.
There are so many things wrong with this. Let us list the ways.
1. It gives yet another reason for people active in homeowners' associations to have an inflated view of themselves.
2. It means these people with inflated views of themselves will soon be knocking on your front door, probably early on a Saturday morning, to discuss endlessly with you the scourge of cars parked on front lawns and the fierce urgency of signing this petition now.
3. You will sign the petition just to get them out of your face before they start their inevitable pitch to recruit you for weed-pulling on neighborhood medians. You will feel shame because you bowed to such pressure even though you don't give a crap where people park their cars, but you really don't want to hear about the monthly punch-and-cookies meetings where some councilmember (or, much more likely, some councilmember's newest intern) comes to hear the concerns of residents.
4. We'll just say this: First they came for the cars on the front lawn, then they came for the No. 3 stickers on those cars' bumpers. Or maybe the Virgin of Guadelupe decal on the back window.
5. They pass this ordinance ON THE VERY DAY that Lynyrd Skynyrd pianist Billy Powell dies? "Be a simple kind of man," indeed.
-- Richard Connelly
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- Federal Judge Vacates Tom Brady's 4 Game Suspension For Deflate-Gate
Sat., Sep. 5, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 2:30pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 6:00pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 7:00pm
- Is it Legal For Border Patrol Agents to Shoot and Kill Unarmed Mexican Kids—So Long as...
- Sam Houston State Student Arrested On 4-Year-Old Charge After Stupid Tweet About...