The Seven Best Patriotic Things About Houston
It's July 4, Independence Day. A day for Americans to get drunk in the name of patriotism.
And in that patriotic spirit, we know every city in the United States is American, but Houston might be the most 'Merican of them all. Here are seven reasons why:
7. The city's namesake, Sam Houston, is a big part of this country's history. Not only was he a leader in the Texas Revolution, Houston is the only person ever to serve as governor of two U.S. states. He served terms as governor of Tennessee and of Texas.
6. We're fat. Americans are known for being obese. Houston had in past years been ranked America's Fattest City by Men's Fitness, but it's getting better. This year, Men's Fitness ranked Houston No. 31 among America's 50 most populous cities, putting it somewhere between fit and fat (just a little flabby?).
5. President's heads You thought the coolest sculpture of Lincoln was in Washington? Nope, it's in Houston, made by artist David Adickes.
4. Widest highway in the world Americans love conquest, and the Katy Freeway makes it easy. It's the widest highway in the world, with as many as 26 lanes in certain parts.
3. NASA, duh. Neil Armstrong phoned into Houston when he first set foot on the moon. That's one small step for man, one giant leap for proving how steeped in patriotism this city is.
Photo by U.S. Embassy New Delhi
2. Speaking of space, President John F. Kennedy made an important speech here.
JFK delivered a historic speech in Houston, saying, "We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." He also asked an important question: "Why does Rice play Texas?"
Photo by Mike Rastiello
1. The Texas flag is just the American flag zoomed in. Never thought about it like that, huh? The more you know, the more American you feel.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- Game Control: Just How Overwhelmed Have The 2015 Houston Texans Been?
- Report: Antiabortion Law Leads to Longer Wait Times at Clinics
- Harden 2.0: How James Harden Became Houston’s Biggest Crossover Sports Celebrity