The Six Worst One-Game Uniforms You'll See in the 2012 College Football Season
Look good, feel good, play good?
Not in these cases.
This list doesn't include full-time offenders like Houston, who substituted a perfectly slick design for a blob.
Instead, these universities -- some with long traditions -- will subject us to a fashion upchuck on select game days.
6. Michigan There's nothing special about these Adidas-designed threads -- which Michigan will wear for its opener at Cowboys Stadium -- with the additional dollop of yellow across the shoulder pads. More pointless than rotten, no uniform is going to help the Wolverines upset the Alabama Crimson Tide, even with their star (albeit overrated) QB Denard Robinson under center.
5. West Virginia "It's a recruiting thing," said WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen when the Mountaineers' gray duds (and we mean duds) were unveiled. "If you look across the country, we're behind on this. Everyone is going (Nike) Pro Combat. Everyone has three or four new uniforms. We're far from that. It's recruiting. Why is everyone doing it? Because the kids want it." Really? The kids want to wear something that looks like a road baseball uniform? We guess it's better than the expired mustard look.
4. Nebraska This is a great look...for Texas Tech, Darth Vader disguising himself as Santa Claus, or, as an ESPN blogger pointed out, the dude in those "Avoid the Noid" Domino's Pizza commercials. The Huskers will sport these Adidas things during their homecoming match-up against Wisconsin on September 29. (Wait until you see what the Badgers are wearing.)
3. Wisconsin This is a great look...for Red Grange, Bronko Nagurski or some other leather-helmet-wearing dude. According to a University of Wisconsin press release, "The use of the 'block W' harkens back to the days of Wisconsin's 1962 Big Ten championship team, which celebrates its 50th anniversary this fall." To us, the block stands for "blockhead" and the W stands for "whatevs."
2. Notre Dame The Irish are giving it up to its namesake with shoes that are swathed in Ireland flag colors during a game against Navy on September 1 in Dublin, Ireland. The school apparently hasn't selected jerseys and pants for the soccer cleats. Can you blame them? What's going to match this mess?
1. Wyoming Nine new and different uniform combos in 2011 apparently weren't enough for Wyoming. They felt the need to jump on the Nike Pro Combat bandwagon. We're not sure if this look is a one-and-done thing or if the Cowboys will "expand its brand identity" on multiple occasions. Either way, it doesn't matter since Wyoming football rarely gets airtime, though they'll probably be seen by ones of people on the Longhorn Network on September 1 when they play Texas.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.