The Top 5 Things to Do in Houston Sports This Weekend: Playoff Edition
Don't get distracted by the fireworks.
It's one of the craziest weekends in Houston sports. Every major and minor league franchise in the city is part of a game or a draft and some of the goings-on are damn important.
This is not the weekend to be a sports amateur. You need to step your game up to a pro level if you intend to compete with the other couch potatoes and face-painted maniacs who call themselves fans. Get it together, Jack, or you're going to miss the top five things to do in Houston sports this weekend, PLAYOFF EDITION!
5. The NFL Draft Friday-Sunday, All Day ESPN, NFL Network The first round of the NFL draft is already over, but there are six more rounds to go. Aren't you thrilled? Let's be honest, the time round two is over, most of the casual fans have been weeded out and all who are left are draft junkies and very lonely people. The NFL draft, however, is unlike any other. Its first-night ratings routinely beat out major sporting events, so tune in and try to guess who will be the 2013 bust.
4. Houston Aeros vs. Grand Rapids Griffins -- First Round of the AHL Playoffs Friday, 7:05 p.m.; Sunday, 5:05 p.m. Toyota Center They won't be the Aeros much longer now that they're moving to Des Moines, but while they're still on the ice in Houston, take advantage. Playoff hockey is exciting even if it is the minor-league variety, and we're winding down to the final moments of action in Houston for who knows how long.3. Houston Dynamo vs. Colorado Rapids Sunday, 4 p.m. BBVA Compass Stadium
The Dynamo try to keep their MLS record home winning streak alive against Colorado this Sunday. The weather should be nice and the fans at BBVA are beyond nuts. Plus, orange is one of my favorite colors and the word orange doesn't rhyme with anything, making it awesome and unique.
2. Nuclear Cowboys Saturday, 7:30 p.m.; Sunday, 2:00 p.m. Reliant Stadium There are crazy daredevil stunts that risk life and limb and then there are the Nuclear Cowboys. This insanely high-flying team of stunt motorcycle riders explodes into Reliant this weekend with literally death-defying tricks on the backs of souped-up dirt bikes. It's just as crazy as it sounds.
1. Houston Rockets vs. Oklahoma City Thunder - Game Three of the Western Conference Playoffs Saturday, 8:30 p.m. Toyota Center After dropping two games in OKC, the second in down-to-the-wire fashion, the Rockets hope to redeem themselves and get at least one win in this first round series against defending Western Conference champs the Thunder. No one expects the Rockets to shock the world and be one of the very few number eight seeds to knock off a number one, but a single win at home would do a lot to give hope to a fan base that is starting to believe this team could, eventually, be a contender again.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- Federal Judge Vacates Tom Brady's 4 Game Suspension For Deflate-Gate
Sat., Sep. 5, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 2:30pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 6:00pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 7:00pm
- Is it Legal For Border Patrol Agents to Shoot and Kill Unarmed Mexican Kids—So Long as...
- Sam Houston State Student Arrested On 4-Year-Old Charge After Stupid Tweet About...