Think about it: Eliminate the Astros and Houston had a year worthy of holding down multiple spots on this list that encompasses athletic accomplishments both inside and outside of the best U.S. state.
10. The Rise of the Houston Dynamo They broke ground on a new stadium, and then went on to make it to the finals before falling in the MLS championship game to the LA Galaxy. The new digs should especially make 2012 a dandy.
9. College-Football Conference Hopscotch It's the Longhorn Network's fault. Nope, blame the Aggies. Whatever you believe, the Big 12 will be minus A&M and the Houston Cougars are Big East-bound starting in 2013.
8. Dallas Mavericks Win It All Brian Cardinal > LeBron James for the Mavs' first title in franchise history.
7. Final Four in Houston There was the party, and then the most unmemorable game in title history: A snoozer between Connecticut and Butler, which, because it sucked so bad, kind of makes it super memorable.
6. A Coach's Batshit-Crazy Wife Kristi Malzahn, wife of Auburn's outgoing offensive coordinator Gus (he recently took the head job at Arkansas State), is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
5. Case Keenum Comeback They totally blew it in the Conference USA championship game, but without the return of the now-record holder in multiple offensive categories, GameDay wouldn't have posted up at UH and Kevin Sumlin probably wouldn't have been tagged as Texas A&M's head coach.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
4. The NFL and NBA Seasons are Saved Both leagues got their stuff together and made the regular season happen. NBA players should be all rested up as they head towards the league's Christmas Day openers.
2. Penn State Child Sex-Abuse Scandal The Nittany Lions need a hug from UH after enduring the most insane college-football scandal ever.