Top 10 Ways to Identify a Native Houstonian
Nothing quite encapsulates Houston like Z-Ro's Mo City Don freestyle.
Photo by Marco Torres
Houston is home to a booming economy. Houston is the fourth most populous city in the United States. Houston is cool.
Houston is a lot of things, home to a lot different people and cultures. And while no string of facts and qualities can quite stitch together a complete story of this city that we love, we gave it our best shot.
Here are ten signs that prove you're from Houston.
10. You spend a good portion of your day in traffic. According to navigation systems manufacturer Tomtom, Houston has the worst traffic in Texas, but we wouldn't live anywhere else.
9. You know Z-Ro's "Mo City Don (freestyle)" by heart. Our favorite lyrics are: "I'm H-Town to Cali, just like Robert Horry" and "Headed to Lake Charles, or headed to Lafayette/Maybe off in Alexandria, but I ain't finished yet/ I gotta make a whole I-10, By 10/Then I, do it again."
Rodeo season is the one time of year everyone loves watching people ride animals.
Photo by Larry Goodwin
Rice University Owls Football vs. Prairie View A&M University Football
TicketsSat., Oct. 22, 2:30pm
University of Houston Cougars Football vs. UCF Knights Football
TicketsSat., Oct. 29, 11:00am
Rice University Owls Football vs. Florida Atlantic University Owls Football
TicketsSat., Nov. 5, 2:30pm
University of Houston Cougars Football vs. Tulane University Football
TicketsSat., Nov. 12, 11:00am
7. Hakeem Olajuwon, Craig Biggio, Earl Campbell and Yao Ming are some of your favorite athletes. Yao was an ambassador. Olajuwon brought Houston a championship. Campbell makes sausage he's passionate about.
6. If you live inside the loop, you never venture outside of it. There's no need to leave.
5. You know how to prepare for a hurricane. From Alicia to Ike, and everything between, Houstonians know how to tape their windows, and either hold tight or drive like hell out of town.
4. Your car has swangas on it. The rims that extend far to the sides of cars might be the best insurance policies on the market.
3. You're quick to correct people that suburbs like The Woodlands, Cypress and Katy "aren't actually Houston." They're just not.
1. You hate Dallas. Hate is a strong word, and you hate Dallas.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.