Top Five Things to Do in Houston Sports This Weekend: Father's Day Edition
You can get off the couch for this.
Photo by Marco Torres
Another week behind us and another weekend of hot, humid Houston weather in front. Time to kick back in the air conditioning and watch some movies in the dark surrounded by ice packs and half a dozen oscillating fans. Now, that is how you spend a summer weekend. I'm sorry, what? Oh, this post is about sports. Hmmm, I guess watching the NBA Finals or PGA Golf or Major League Baseball on TV doesn't really count? Are we sure?
Alrighty then. For all the dads out there, you should demand what I outlined above, at least for Sunday, but if you are one of those "active fathers," then perhaps the following might be for you.
5. Galveston Qualifier for the Bud Light Texas Volleyball Championship Saturday, 8:30 a.m. Stewart Beach, Galveston Official Web Site
Now, we're talking spectator sports. A bunch of hot volleyball chicks in bikinis...what, there are dudes too? So, is it going to be like that scene in Top Gun that had less than vaguely homoerotic overtones? You know the one, set to "Playing With the Boys"? Well, I guess dads can manage if there are some ladies thrown in there as well and for our awesome gay dads out there, something for you too!
4. Sugar Land Skeeters vs. Camden Riversharks Friday, 7:05 p.m.; Saturday, 6:05 p.m.; Sunday, 6:05 p.m. Constellation Field, Sugar Land www.sugarlandskeeters.com
I'm not going to lie, the thought of river sharks scares the holy hell out of me. I've heard that bull sharks can survive in fresh water and have been found more than 100 miles upstream in the Mississippi River attacking cattle. COME ON, SHARKS! Don't you scare us enough roaming around the ocean like perfect killing machines? So, I can honestly say that I have more than the usual motivation to pull for the Skeeters this weekend. Of course, Skeeters carry West Nile virus. DAMN YOU, NATURE!
Click for larger image.
3. Houston Astros vs. Chicago White Sox Friday, 7:10 p.m.; Saturday, 6:15 p.m.; Sunday, 1:10 p.m. Minute Maid Park www.astros.com
After the 'Stros reeled off some wins, they went back in the tank with a bunch of losses. But some of the young players have actually been showing encouraging signs of development, making this an interesting, albeit disappointing, team to watch. They welcome the team they faced in their only World Series appearance, the White Sox, to the Juicebox for a weekend series that includes some special stuff for Dad on Sunday.
2. Houston Roller Derby Saturday, 6 p.m. Bayou Music Center (formerly Verizon Wireless Theater) www.houstonrollerderby.com
Now, here we go. No doubt Dad will love watching a bunch of bad-ass girls beat the living daylights out of one another while rollerskating their way around a big wooden rink. Who wouldn't want to see that? Bout 4 of their season is Saturday and it should be fun as always.
1. Guns vs. Hoses -- Charity Hockey Game Saturday, 4 p.m. Memorial City Mall
Friend and fellow writer Sean Pendergast will be at Memorial City Mall on Saturday for this game of cops versus firefighters to benefit the victims of the horrible hotel fire that killed five firefighters a few weeks ago. There will be a pre- and post-game public skate for $10, a silent auction and a fun game between the people who protect us every day with their own lives. Show up and do your part to assist.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- University of Houston to Host a GOP Presidential Debate
Sat., Oct. 24, 12:00am
Sat., Oct. 24, 11:00am
Sun., Oct. 25, 12:00am
Mon., Oct. 26, 12:00am
- John Stone-Hoskins, Who Sued AG Ken Paxton Over Gay Marriage Rights, Dies at 37
- Astros Fans, This Person Is the Reason There's a Game 5 Wednesday Night