Well, in light of Hunter Pence’s Monday night incidentwith the sliding glass door
, I thought it would be fun to look back at some of the bizarre injuries which seem to befall major league baseball players. So, in reverse order, I give you my Top Ten Bizarre Baseball Injuries (notwithstanding Pence and the door):
10. Then Houston Astro outfielder Moises Alou, coming off a very good 1998 season, tore the ACL in his left knee one week before spring training in 1999 when he fell off a treadmill. Further, mere weeks from an attempted late-season return, Alou fell off of his bicycle in August and re-injured that knee. Needless to say, he did not return that season.
9. Then Toronto Blue Jay outfielder/DH Glenallen Hill had to miss a game because he injured himself while having a nightmare in which he was attempting to flee from attacking spiders.
8. Then Boston Red Sox third baseman strained his back trying to put on a pair of cowboy boots and had to miss a week of games.
7. Jeff Kent, then the second baseman of the San Francisco Giants, claims to have broken a bone in his left wrist shortly before spring training while he was washing his truck. Kent told management that he slipped and hurt the wrist while trying to break his fall. The cause of injury, however, is disputed. It was also reported that Kent made up this injury because he hurt his wrist while doing motorcycle tricks in a parking lot.
6. Sammy Sosa, then with the Chicago Cubs, sneezed so hard that he triggered back spasms which were so serious that he had to miss several games.
5. Then San Diego Padre pitcher Adam Eaton stabbed himself in the stomach with a paring knife while attempting to open up a DVD. He had to miss his next start.
4. Atlanta Brave pitcher John Smoltz supposedly scalded himself while ironing a shirt. A shirt he was supposedly wearing at the time.
3. Clint Barmes, then a rookie sensation for the Colorado Rockies, broke his collarbone and had to miss the rest of the season after he tripped walking up the stairs to his apartment. He tripped due to the heavy weight he had on his back, the weight being deer meat that had been given to him by his teammate, Todd Helton.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
2. Marty Cordova, a former American League Rookie of the Year for the Minnesota Twins, then playing for the Baltimore Orioles, went to sleep on a tanning bed. Went to sleep and suffered some rather severe burns. Burns so bad that he was not able to play day games because his doctor ordered him to stay out of direct sunlight.
And for my all-time favorite…
1. Then Milwaukee Brewer first baseman Richie Sexson wrenched his neck while attempting to put on his hat for his team photo in spring training. The hat was too small and he suffered the injury while trying too hard to make it fit on his head.
So, Hunter, don’t feel too bad. Some of your fellow players have done much stupider things. Still, be careful, okay. – John Royal