Top Ten Names in Sports for 2008
Time for one more year-end top ten...
10. Kimbo Slice - he was supposed to be the man who brought Ultimate Fighting to the masses. Instead, in his second national fight on network television he ended up getting his ass kicked while the league he fought for went out of business.
9. Miguel Tejeda -the real, actual name of Astros shortstop Miguel Tejada.
8. Evan Longoria - the third baseman for the Tampa Bay Rays who was also the AL Rookie of the Year. And his name made for endless Eva Longoria jokes.
7. Mindy McCready -- the country singer has had a lot of problems in her life, and she doesn't really play sports. However, she started an involvement with Roger Clemens when she was just 14, thus further destroying the Rocket's image.
6. Joe Maddon - the manager of the improbable Tampa Bay Rays who rocked the Elvis Costello glasses and who led his team to not only their first ever 70-plus win season, but also to their first ever 90-plus win season and the World Series.
5. Rusty Hardin - he was Roger Clemens's attorney, and he brought scorn down on lawyers throughout the world.
4. Usain Bolt - the world's fastest man who set the world record in the 100-meters at the Olympics while slowing up for the last 20 meters or so.
3. Brett Favre - the Green Bay Packer legend retired. Then unretired. Then forced a trade to the New York Jets when the Packers kindly told him that he could stay retired.
2. Brian McNamee - this is the evil guy who ratted out the Rocket to the Feds. He also ratted out Andy Pettitte and Chuck Knoblauch, both of who confessed to taking HGH. Rocket denied to doing as such, but he did admit that McNamee injected Mrs. Clemens with HGH.
1. Michael Phelps -- the majestic swimmer who became the first person in Olympic history to win eight gold medals in the same Olympic games.
-- John Royal
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.
- HBU Says the Feds Are Forcing It to Sin (and These Uber-Conservative Judges Agree)
Fri., Oct. 9, 12:00am
Sun., Oct. 11, 12:00am
Mon., Oct. 12, 12:00am
Sat., Oct. 17, 12:00am
- KHOU vs. DISH Contract Standoff Still Isn't Over
- College and NFL Football: This Weekend's Best Bets