It's been a decent year for potheads. So what if Prop 19 didn't pass in California, because medical marijuana laws, even in places outside that dirty hippy state, expanded. This year ends with two more states, Arizona and New Jersey, along with Washington, D.C., allowing possession for medicinal purposes.
In Texas, though, we're still in the dark ages. We had our dance with some synthetic weed that really got us high, but then that got outlawed, too. Fortunately, there is no shortage in Texas of great weed stories that somehow, through a smokey haze, always leave us laughing.
Here are our Top Seven Weed Stories from 2010.
7. The Dope and the Alligator Skull. In September, a guy out in Angleton was trying to illegally sell alligator meat via Craigslist, and when undercover investigators called him to try to set up a buy, the man boasted that he also had an alligator's skull at his house.
When Game Wardens showed up to make the bust, the man told them, Hey, just kidding about that skull! To prove it, he allowed the wardens to search his house, where he happened to be growing marijuana. Unfortunately for him, that's a crime, too.
6. Genesis 1:29: And God said, Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed... That's the scripture that potheads reference to prove that God wanted us to have marijuana, maaan. In February, a 22-year-old woman in El Paso took that idea a bit too far.
According to Customs and Border Patrol agents, the woman was trying to cross the border with three framed pictures of Jesus when a drug dog named Cesar -- typical -- sniffed out the goods. Agents found about 30 pounds of pot in the frames.
5. Police get high, too? Maybe some cops take smoking dope too seriously, but a lot probably don't. But, BUT, if they found out another cop is smoking, all hell will break loose.
In April, when a citizen phoned in a tip that a Fort Worth police officer was smoking pot while on duty and in uniform, the department launched a massive investigation using a helicopter and undercover surveillance.
The cop, an eight-year veteran of the Fort Worth force, was arrested a couple days after the tip and police later found more marijuana in the officer's house and personal car.
4. For the first time in history, it's gonna start raining... weed? During this summer, residents in Hunt County suddenly woke in the middle of the night to the sound of duffle bags dropping on their roofs. Each bag contained about 70 pounds of hydroponic marijuana.
All told, about $1.5 million worth of marijuana fell from the East Texas sky. Apparently, the pilot, a 44-year-old man from California, ditched the bags because the feds were on to him. The plane was about to run out of gas and he landed it near an airstrip in Caddo Mills. The man was arrested in California a few weeks after ditching the pot and plane.
3. DY gt hg? In October, a San Angelo man was at home one evening, perhaps a little high, perhaps a little lonely, and he decided to send out a text to an old lady friend.
After some friendly banter, the man decided to ask the obvious question: "So do you smoke weed?"
Unfortunately for the man, the woman, in their time apart, had become a "reserve deputy officer with the Early (Texas) police department" (whatever the hell that is). The woman called her bosses, they set up sting in a park, and the unsuspecting man showed up and was arrested. Straight out of To Catch a Predator.
2. 'Cause I never could stay sober... On the Corpus Christi Bay, or at least in Corpus Christi, cops thought they had found the motherlode. In May, a teenager was riding his bike through a city park and spotted a bunch of marijuana plants. Instead of calling friends, the teen called the police.
Cops showed up and spent about an hour tearing up close to 400 plants and stuffing them in garbage bags before hauling the load back to the station. Trouble is, a quick test revealed that the plants were, in fact, horse mint.
A few days later, a Corpus Christi TV station ran the story: "Police Horse Mint Bust Getting Ridiculed Nationally." Ouch.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
1. Willie. Enough said. It's been a tough year for Willie and weed. First in January, cops in North Carolina raided one of his tour buses and found a bunch of marijuana and moonshine.
Then, a few days after Thanksgiving, Willie was actually arrested by Border Patrol agents for six ounces of pot. Yes, Willie Nelson arrested. For pot.
The fallout has been massive, and it has birthed an Austin and Houston chapter of pro-Legalize It Teapot Party.