How much is a death on the job worth to the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration? It's valued at precisely $63,000, judging by the citation issued by OSHA to the Municipal District Services LLC in Cypress, Texas. In December 2013, company workers were trying to r ... More >>
A Tomball company's fat is in the fire with the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Health and Safety Administration, so to speak. The company, Pigs Unlimited International Inc., a foam and polyurethane pig manufacturer (we're talking about a piece of equipment sent up pipelines, not actual pig ... More >>
We've all seen the video. We couldn't help watching it, how the flames were licking the sides of the building, the smoke was coming out in plumes. We watched it, knowing what was about to happen, but it still came as a surprise when the fireball erupted and the fertilizer plant in that small North T ... More >>
Brian Johns suffered chemical burns over 65 percent of his body in a Deer Park plant explosion. A representative of his company, a subsidiary of Dow Chemical, tried to tell doctors Johns had just encountered some really hot water.
To say that the town of West has had a rough time is pretty much the understatement of the year. Since a fertilizer plant exploded, killing 15 people and leaving half the town looking like it had been wiped out by a nuclear bomb, the people of West have been struggling to rebuild and move on from th ... More >>
Brian Johns went to work on July 17, 2012 at the Rohm and Haas in Deer Park, just as he'd done for years. Johns was changing a filter in an ammonium nitrate unit when there was an explosion that covered his skin with acid so that more than 65 percent of his body was burned. The big disasters are t ... More >>
More than 200 soldiers are suing KBR for knowingly exposing them to toxic chemicals in Iraq, whose effects started with nose bleeds and could end with cancer. KBR says that didn't happen. But even if it did, the company isn't responsible. Taxpayers are.
Eating out can be hazardous to your hearing