10 Lobster Dishes to Try in Houston: #2 Lobster and Shrimp Margherita Pizza at La Fisheria
One of the many things that intrigues me about the Victorian era was how the general overabundance of shellfish meant foods like lobster were more fare for the hoi polloi than the aristocratic minority. This year, a bumper crop in the Northeast has once again made lobster cheaper for the masses. And with the lowered cost of bulk orders for restaurants, chefs are getting creative in their uses of this crustacean. Here are 10 Lobster Dishes to Try in Houston.
#2 Lobster and Shrimp Margherita Pizza at La Fisheria
Having already received accolades for its ceviches and carpaccios, La Fisheria continues to showcase its talent for seafood preparation with its lobster and shrimp margherita pizza. "Harrumph," I hear you growl, "throw lobster on ANYTHING and it will taste good."
True, probably, but I guarantee a lobster tail perched on a medium cheese from Domino's will pale in comparison to this pie at La Fisheria.
The pizza's greatest virtue is the balance of toppings. While many seafood pizzas are heavy on the cheese, light on the fish, La Fisheria adds more than just a sprinkle of shellfish. Interspersed between thick layers of gouda and mozzarella are equally sizable chunks of lobster and prawn. A traditional margherita flavor emerges thanks to the sweet combination of fresh basil and tomatoes, but the gouda introduces a strong smoky element that gives new depth to the lobster.
This pizza is exactly what I would want to scarf after an evening spent imbibing coconut-pineapple cocktails. Too bad (for me) La Fisheria doesn't deliver.
Check out the rest of our must-try lobster list:
10. Lobster omelet at Union Kitchen 9. Crispy lobster sandwich at Backstreet Cafe 8. Lobster macaroni & cheese at Kata Robata 7. Lobster mango salad at Smith & Wollensky 6. Lobster Tacos at Jonathan's The Rub 5. The Lobster Roll at Triniti 4. No. 4, Lobster Enchiladas at the Original Ninfa's 3. Lobster Anniversary Special at Fung's Kitchen
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Houston dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Houston's 5 Best Weekend Food Bets, Plus One More (for America!)
- Upcoming Houston Food Events: A Reverse Beer Dinner With Kevin & Chris
- Openings and Closings in Houston: Bramble (and the Return of Randy Rucker) Arriving Soon
- 100 Favorite Houston Dishes 2015: No. 85, Hunter's Honey Roasted Duck At Brennan's of...