5 Best Theme Foods and Drinks to Enjoy While Watching Orange Is the New Black, Season 2
F*ck Game of Thrones. I'm currently obsessed with Orange Is the New Black, the second season of which premiers June 6 on Netflix. To celebrate, I plan to host a viewing party and serve food and drink inspired by the series (diehard fans, rest assured a certain female sanitary product sandwich is not on the menu). Here my five favorite "Orange Is the New Black" theme comestibles:
5. Roast Chicken. In episode 5 "The Chickening," Piper spots an errant chicken while reading one Sunday morning. Her casual mention of this fowl-sighting sparks a frenzy among the inmates, especially Red, who salivates at the thought of roasting a "proper" chicken. Her offer of a reward for anyone who catches the chicken leads some prisoners to go hunting for it, though others are more motivated by the thought it is actually stuffed with valuable drugs.
4. Coconut Cake. Though it never actually appears on screen, Miss Claudette Pelage's coconut cake is apparently really, really good. So good, in fact, that inmate Tricia offers Claudette sexual favors in exchange for making the cake for her girlfriend's release party. Miss Claudette declines, though in a later we see her assembling ingredients such as contraband French vanilla.
This story continues on the next page.
Between margaritas and tacos, I'll need Los Tios to cater my viewing party.
Photo by Joanna O'Leary
3. Margarita. In their first meeting, Alex offers to buy her soon-to-be-lover Piper a drink, and her immediate request, despite the cold weather, is a margarita. Later, Piper's fiance Larry also requests this cocktail after pouring his heart to an attractive bartender. I'm still a bit fuzzy about the symbolism; maybe a few rounds of margaritas will make things clearer.
2. King Cones. "It's not just an ice cream, it's a King Cone!" So says character Tasha "Taystee" Jefferson, who almost gets into a brawl with another inmate over the potential ruination of said ice cream treat. Later, she is discouraged from accounting for this infarction to the parole board by saying, "[It] was for smacking a bitch for not respecting my ice machine choices."
"Taco Night" seems to be a much anticipated dinner for the women of "Orange Is the New Black."
Photo by Aimee Knight
1. Tacos. Budget cuts and low quality ingredients give prison cook Red little to work with in the cafeteria, but everyone nevertheless enjoys her tacos. "Taco Night" is such an anticipated meal that Nicky Nichols consoles a depressed Alex by offering that event as something to regularly look forward to in prison.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.