5 Best Uses for Toasted Marshmallows (Besides in S'Mores)
What is it about the sweet charred carbon shell and gooey interior of a toasted marshmallow that is so intoxicating? Convention dictates that we should wedge it between a square of chocolate and graham crackers, but this burnt spongy cylinder has the ability to complement so many other dishes. Here are five foods much improved by the addition of a toasted marshmallow.
5. Sundae Topping. Especially good on chocolate ice cream. Unlike regular marshmallow sundae topping, toasted marshmallows, with their crackly surface and dense insides, diversity the texture of your sundae as well as add an undercurrent of smoky flavor that cuts the sweetness.
4. Cocktail Garnish. Adorn chocolate martini or even a White Russian with a toasted marshmallow to dress up the taste and the presentation. If you want your drink to match with its garnish, try this toasted marshmallow martini recipe.
This story continues on the next page.
You know what this baked sweet potato needs?
Photo by Lyn Gardner
3. Cupcake Frosting. Sweet creamy marshmallow can be a welcome alternative to traditional icing. If you have a blowtorch handy, be fancy and make your own marshmallow cream and commence a brûler. Or be fancy-free, toast marshmallow over a gas stove and plunk it on your cupcake.
2. Sweet Potato Topping. Evoke the familiar flavors of marshmallow-topped yams at Thanksgiving on a smaller scale by substituting an over-sized toasted marshmallow (aka "Jumbo Mallows") for sour cream.
1. Toasted Fluffernutter Sandwiches. Boasting all the virtues of a regular fluffernutter sandwich (peanut butter and marshmallow cream on white bread) with the added bonuses of 1) warmth (from the toasted bread as well as the toasted marshmallow) and 2) extra sugary chewiness from the mallow's charred crust. Not for those with a strong aversion to stickiness.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Houston dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.