5 Places to Get a Custom Birthday Cake in Houston
We needed of a birthday cake quick but didn't know where to get it. So we turned to the Houston foodie community via Facebook and Twitter, and here were some of the suggestions that kept popping up.
1. Jodycakes By far the most mentioned was Jodycakes, who has a loyal fan base on Twitter. Jody Stevens, the brains and brawn behind the cakes, focuses on vegan, gluten-free and organic cakes that, according to previous posts on Eating Our Words, taste just as good, if not better, than cakes with traditional ingredients.
2. Dacapo's Located in the heart of the Heights, this bakery has been around for the last 15 years, according to the website. Other than offering up mouthwatering custom cakes and pastries, Dacapo's also makes a mean BLT, along with many other café favorites like chicken salad, egg salad and club sandwiches.
3. The Acadian Bakers So, their burgers may not be the "best" in town, but from the looks of Acadian's website, the owner gets around. Photographed with Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, Larry King and Condi Rice, to name a few, owner Sandra Jean Bubbert has been baking for 30 years. In addition to custom cakes for anniversaries and special occasions, Acadian Bakers apparently has a legendary brownie chocolate mousse as well as signature king cakes for Mardi Gras season.
4. 3 Brothers Bakery If 3 Brothers is the "preferred bakery of the Houston Astros," we can only hope its cakes have a better winning percentage than the current DisAstros. Specializing in Eastern European-style breads and pastries like challah, rye bread and bagels, 3 Brothers' baking family history has Polish roots and goes back more than 200 years. If you're looking for something bigger than a simple birthday cake, 3 Brother's can do that too.
5. Take the Cake It's a bit off the beaten path for those of you in-the-loopers, but worth the drive, according to some in the birthday-cake know. You may have already tasted some of Take the Cake's confections without even knowing it at Star Pizza, Empire Café, Jenni's Noodle House or Jax Grill, to name a few. The place is owned and operated by a married couple, both Culinary Institute of America graduates.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Houston dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.