6 Great Gifts For An Iron Chef Wannabe
The wonders of sous vide cooking
As seen in ScienceSlashFood
Are you the next Iron Chef? Are you bedding a Master Chef wannabe? Do you or someone you know take cooking very seriously? Here are a few must-haves sure to tickle the fancy of the Iron Chef in, or near, you.
6. Sous vide circulators: Sous vide seems to be the new black of the chef world. With this technique, foods are cooked in a vacuum-sealed plastic pouch, at a consistent low temperature for an extended period of time. It may be bulky and pricey, but it creates magic.
5. Pressure cookers: The Iron Chefs need them to cook in a hurry, and they provide the same benefit to the ambitious (read: busy) home cook. Pressure cookers have come a long way from our grandma's models; today you can find them for the stovetop or electric operation.
3. Exotic ingredients: It's been said that your cooking is only as good as your ingredients, and for Top Chef-level cooking, you need a purveyor on steroids. At MarxFoods you can find everything from Adzuki beans to truffles to antelope meat, and you don't even need to leave home.
2. Vitamix blender: Talk about a work horse, this thing does it all. Blends, juices, purees nuts and can probably pull a rabbit from a top hat, should guests require entertainment.
1. Molecular cooking: Follow in the steps of Ferran Adria for a walk on the wild, or molecular side; this kit provides everything necessary to take food to new gastro levels.
One more: Sous chef - If everything else fails, offer to be a sous chef and do all the prep work for the hardworking chef.
Shop smart and eat well, my friends.
Check out our other 2011 holiday gift guides:
- 5 Ridiculously Cute Kitchen Gifts, by Phaedra Cook
- 5 Gifts for the At-Home Baker, by Brooke Viggiano
- 5 Gifts for the Wine Lover, by Jeremy Parzen
- Keeping it Kosher: Top 5 Hanukkah Gifts, by Katharine Shilcutt
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Houston dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.