You know, in theory, morning is probably the best time (metabolically speaking) to eat chocolate since your body will have the rest of the day to burn off the calories. So, there's your justification for eating a Hershey bar for breakfast. Or, if you want to disguise (sort of) your indulgence as a traditional matutinal meal, try one of these five chocolate cereals:
5. Chocolate Cheerios. A good choice for those who usually find chocolate cereals simplistic and cloyingly sweet, chocolate cheerios boasts strong notes of cocoa with the unmistakable oat bran flavor characteristic of original cheerios. I suggest using very cold two percent milk to maximize taste and textural crunch.
4. Special K Chocolatey Strawberry. The chocolate almond variety of Special K is decent, but I prefer chocolate strawberry for the way in which the chocolate chunks and sweet berry slices enliven the rice flakes. Don't know, though, if eating entire boxes in one sitting is part of Kellogg's official weight-loss plan.
This story continues on the next page.
3. Chocolate Lucky Charms. Though perhaps not quite as "magically delicious" as the original, the infusion of cocoa flavor in conjunction with (freeze-dried) marshmellows and some warm milk actually makes this cereal a lovely cold-weather morning treat. Also, did you know the Irish invented chocolate? Anyway, that's the rumor I'm spreading.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
2. Chocolate Frosted Mini-Wheats. Shredded wheat may seem likely an unlikely delicious wrapper for semi-sweet chocolate, however, in the case of chocolate frosted mini-wheats, it works very well. The temptation to overserve yourself is strong, though consumers are advised that this cereal, especially when eaten with anything but skim milk, is VERY FILLING.
1. Krave. Krave cereal comes in an assortment of flavors including chocolate, double chocolate, and s'mores, the last of which is unique in the way it features soft, melted marshmallows chunks (rather than freeze-dried bits). The cereal shell also displays more than a hint of graham flavor, making this cereal a very satisfying sort of s'mores breakfast ravioli.