Get Some Balls
Photo by Robb Walsh
World Food Warehouse on Highway 6 at Beechnut is a good place to go if you're looking to acquire some balls. They run five dollars a pound if you're interested and it looks like you get about seven or eight in a pound. Some are a lot larger than others.
I've eaten a lot of calf testicles (a.k.a. mountain oysters) in my day, usually deep fried. Goat testicles are called kapura or kapoor in India and Pakistan where they are commonly grilled on skewers. Kapoor kababs are reportedly sold at roadside eateries in Punjab. A more elaborate testicle curry known as kapura bakra masala can be made from either lamb or goat balls.
Here's the recipe from indiacurry.com:
Kapura Bakra Masala Recipe
This is a simple curried stir-fry damp curry made with testicles. You can use either lamb or goat testicles. Khasia Kapura or Kapoora refers to testicles. In United States, the lamb testicles are normally called 'lamb fry'. '"Rocky Mountain oysters' is a common name for bull testicles. Choose testicles from young lamb or baby goat (kid). Older the animal, more intense is the flavor.
- Lamb Testicles: 1 Pound
- Ghee: ¼ cup
- Onions, Peeled finely chopped: 2 cups
- Garlic, peeled crushed: 3 Cloves
- Ginger, peeled chopped fine: 1"x1"
- Serrano, white pith removed to reduce heat, chopped: 2
- Turmeric powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Coriander powder: 2 teaspoon
- Cumin powder: 1 teaspoon
- Cayenne ground: ¼ teaspoon
- Black pepper ground: ¼ teaspoon
- Salt: ¼ teaspoon
- Water: 2 Tablespoon
- Juice of half fresh lime
- Wash testicles. Cut each testicle along the middle in half. Peel off the skin and discard it. Cut each half length-wise to result in two oval shape slices. Now, you have peeled each testicle and cut into four oval shaved slices. Soak sliced testicles in cold salted water (4 cups of water with 2 Tablespoon of salt) for about one hour. This will help remove blood. Drain and wash in clean water. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Heat Ghee in a frying pan.
- Add onions. Fry till edges turn brown, about five minutes
- Add garlic, ginger and serrano. Stir. Fry about one minute
- Add turmeric powder, coriander, cumin, cayenne, black pepper, and salt. Fry one minute.
- Add sliced testicles. Stir and fry till testicles have changed color.
- Add water. Stir. Cook covered about 5 to 8 minutes for desired consistency.
- Stir in lime juice. Shut off heat.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Houston dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.