Happy National Guacamole Day!
Friday, September 16, is National Guacamole Day, according to punchbowl.com. Naturally, we're marking the occasion by stuffing heaps of chunky guac into our...guac-holes while listening to the Guacamole Song. It would be inappropriate to celebrate any other way.
While I have absolutely nothing against the purist's guacamole, I thought I would recommend something nontraditional. Perusing the web, I came across recipes like cucumber-pineapple, pumpkin, and wasabi-ginger guacamole before deciding on an Indian-inspired variation that piqued my interest. It probably had something to do with the fact that it's served with naan instead of tortilla chips...and what can I say? I'm nutso for naan.
This twist on a traditional guacamole recipe comes from Heidi Swanson of 101 Cookbooks.
- 1 small white onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 avocados
- 1/2 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- a few big pinches of cumin powder
- a few big pinches of Indian curry powder
- Garlic or plain naan bread, cut into wedges
1. Heat oven to 350 and bake the naan wedges for 10 minutes or so - just enough for them to toast.
2. In a small bowl combine the onion, garlic, and avocado flesh. Squeeze the juice from half a lime and add the salt, cumin and curry powder.
3. Give everything a good stir, Be gentle here if you like chunkier guacamole, and stir vigorously if you like smooth guacamole.
4. Taste and adjust as you see fit. More lime? Salt? More intense curry flavor? Add whatever you like till it's just right.
Serve with toasted naan wedges on the side and a sprinkling of curry powder on top, garnish with cilantro to make it purdy.
Do you like exotic guacamole recipes or do you stick with the tried and true basics? Let us know in the comments section.
Happy Guacamole Day!
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Houston dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Houston's 5 Best Weekend Food Bets: Labor Day Weekend BBQs & Brews
- Upcoming Houston Food Events: A Saint Arnold and Original Ninfa's Meeting of the Minds
- Openings and Closings in Houston: Pour Society And A Newly Announced Speakeasy
- 100 Favorite Houston Dish, No. 62: Oxtail at Le’ Pam’s House of Creole