Local Foods Stays True to Its Name
Sometimes restaurants have the kind of simple, straightforward names that let you know exactly what to expect there: That Pizza Place On Ella, for example, or the subject of this week's cafe review, Local Foods.
True to its name, Local Foods -- the little sister deli to big sister benjy's, next door -- offers an array of salads, sandwiches, soups and sides made with primarily Texas-grown or Texas-made ingredients. In addition to the foods it makes in house, Local Foods also offers wines, beers, liquors, soft drinks and desserts that are made by Texan- or Houston-based companies. Think of it as Revival Market with less emphasis on the grocery store side and more emphasis on prepared foods.
So what exactly are the local products at Local Foods? Here's a short (and by no means exhaustive) list:
- Produce from Utility Research Garden, Gundermann Farms, Atkinson Farms, Animal Farm and Knopp Branch Farm
- Olive oil from Texas Hill Country Olive Oil
- Seafood from Texas Wild Gulf Shrimp and Blue Horizon Gulf Seafood
- Meat from Black Hill Ranch
- Dairy from Pola Cheese
- Eggs from Hatterman Egg Farm
- Beer from Karbach Brewing, Southern Star Brewery and (512) Brewing Company
- Wine from McPherson Cellars, Duchman Vineyards, Becker Vineyards, Pedernales Cellars, Pilot Knob Vineyard and Inwood Estates
- Soda from the 8th Wonder Brewery
- Coffee from Katz Coffee
- Dessert from Brown Bag Chocolates and GoodPop
And that's just to list a few purveyors. Find more local foods (and new favorites) for yourself at Local Foods and read more about the refreshingly modern Rice Village deli in this week's cafe review.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Houston dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Houston's 5 Best Weekend Food Bets, Plus One More (for America!)
- Upcoming Houston Food Events: A Reverse Beer Dinner With Kevin & Chris
- Openings and Closings in Houston: Bramble (and the Return of Randy Rucker) Arriving Soon
- 100 Favorite Houston Dishes 2015: No. 85, Hunter's Honey Roasted Duck At Brennan's of...