This pie was a Grand Champion Winner at the 2001 Montgomery County Fair, entered by Morgan Cartwright -- niece of Pie in the Sky owner Marlene Mathis Stubler. Although the original Pie in the Sky is located in Conroe, the diner is expected to open a second location in the Heights by mid-November. For now, Houstonians can get pies from Pie in the Sky at Barnabys and Rice Epicurean Markets.
The recipe, after the jump.
Pie in the Sky's Bourbon Sweet Potato Pecan Pie
For sweet potato mixture:
1 1/4 cups sweet potato, baked and peeled 1/4 cup brown sugar 1/4 cup sugar 1 egg, beaten 1/4 cup whipping cream 1/4 teaspoon vanilla pinch of salt 3/4 teaspoon allspice 3 tablespoons butter, softened 19-inch deep-dish pastry crust
For pecan pie filling:
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar 1 1/4 cups dark corn syrup 3 eggs, beaten 1/4 teaspoon vanilla pinch of salt 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon 1 1/4 cups pecans
For the Bourbon sauce:
1 1/2 cup whipping cream 1 cup milk 1 4-ounce package instant vanilla pudding 3 tablespoons bourbon 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. For the sweet potato mixture, combine butter and sugars. Beat until smooth. Beat in egg.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
2. Combine well and then add sweet potatoes, whipping cream, vanilla, salt and allspice, mixing until smooth. Place in the pie crust.
3. For the pecan pie filling, combine butter, sugar and corn syrup, beating until blended. Beat in eggs. Add vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Stir in the pecans.
4. Pour over the sweet potato mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until set.
5. For the bourbon sauce, combine milk and pudding mix. Blend until thick. Add whipping cream, Bourbon, and vanilla and blend. Serve either on the bottom of the plate with slice of pie on top, or on top of the pie.