I tend to spend the whole month of January making and consuming soups and stews. This recipe is for an opulent, fancified beef stew that is perfect for long, dark winter days, adapted from a recipe card I got at Central Market several years ago. The truffle oil and demi-glace give it a nice, robust earthiness. Plus you only need one cup of Cabernet, which means you can drink the rest of the bottle with dinner. After we first tried it, this dish has become a cold weather staple in my household.
The recipe, after the jump.
Cabernet Beef Stew
Serves 8 to 10
- 2 lbs Choice beef, cubed, salt and peppered
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb pearl onions
- Bouquet garni of 2 bay leaves, 2 thyme sprigs, 1 rosemary sprig, 2 Italian Parsley sprigs tied together
- 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 container Classic French Demi-Glace, dissolved into 4 cups hot water (can substitute good-quality beef stock)
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, halved
- 3 Tbsp Truffle flour (can substitute all-purpose flour) mixed into 2 Tbsp softened butter
- 1 tsp truffle oil (optional)
Heat olive oil in a large soup pot.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Add beef in a single layer on the bottom. Sear over high heat until browned on all sides. Add the onions and garlic. Cook, stirring often, a few minutes longer until the onions have softened.
Tuck the Bouquet garni among the meat and onions. Add in the Cabernet and bring to a boil. Pour in the demi-glace/hot water mixture. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook for about 45 minutes or until beef is tender.
Discard the herbs. Add the remaining vegetables and simmer on low for about 20 more minutes. Stir in the butter and flour mixture, one tablespoon at a time. Add in the truffle oil, if using. Cook for 5 more minutes to thicken the stew.
Serve with crusty bread and a nice green salad for a complete meal.