Recipe: Dr Pepper Peanut Brittle
I sublet my apartment this summer, and when I returned, there were four cans of Dr Pepper in my fridge. I can probably count on one hand the sodas I really do not care for, and sadly (non-Dublin) Dr Pepper is among them. Dumping all four cans down the drain seemed like a colossal waste, not to mention sort of a sin against the Lone Star State.
Perhaps, I thought, I could incorporate the Dr Pepper into a baked good. A few years ago, I found myself in a similar situation with a can of Guinness and as a result, I learned how to make Guinness cake, now my go-to dessert for St. Paddy's day parties. A quick perusal of the interwebs yielded many, many recipes for Dr Pepper cake and cookies, but my deficient pantry stores meant I'd have to go for something extremely simple. Eventually, I found an uber-easy recipe for Dr Pepper Peanut Brittle.
Dr Pepper Peanut Brittle
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine*
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Dr Pepper
- 2 cups peanuts
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Combine sugar, butter, salt, Dr Pepper and peanuts in a large saucepan. Boil, stirring constantly, until temperature of 290 degrees is reached. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda. Pour into 15 x 10 inch baking pan greased or lined with foil. Cool until hardened. Break into pieces.
Cool and ready for consumption.
Serving recommendation: Pair with ice-cold milk or hot cinnamon tea.
* Margarine was what I had, so that's what I used. Butter is surely better, although my version was tasty.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Houston dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Houston's 5 Best Weekend Food Bets, Plus One More (for America!)
- Upcoming Houston Food Events: A Reverse Beer Dinner With Kevin & Chris
- Openings and Closings in Houston: Bramble (and the Return of Randy Rucker) Arriving Soon
- 100 Favorite Houston Dishes 2015: No. 85, Hunter's Honey Roasted Duck At Brennan's of...