The 5 Best Hidden Restaurant Gems in Katy
Check out the big blue bus at our No. 2 pick!
Photo by Kaitlin Steinberg
When I mentioned to a few friends that I was spending a lot of time recently exploring good ol' Katy, Texas, I got the same response over and over:
"Katy? Oh. I'm sorry."
Initially I was sorry too. The rush hour drive in a car without air conditioning in June was my own fault. The veritable restaurant wasteland (save for a few chain spots along I-10) that greeted me on my drive in seemed foreboding. Other than a handful of great, well-established eateries, what could Katy have to offer?
Exploring a little, I actually found plenty. I silenced the naysayers by texting them photos of my unexpectedly delicious meals and was met not with apologies this time, but with intrigue.
"I want that. Where is that? Surely not Katy..."
Yep, I found all this great ethnic food in Katy. Now get out there and do some exploring!
My dining buddy Chris Frankel turned me on to Thee Trini Hut, and I'm mighty glad he did.
Photo by Chris Frankel
5. Thee Trini Hut Caribbean curries and stews are surprisingly refreshing during the heat of the summer, perhaps because they were invented on hot, humid islands. The spice of the food causes your internal body temperature to rise, producing sweat, which ultimately cools you off. It's called gustatory facial sweating. This is all just a fancy way of saying that the spicy goat curry, shrimp curry and saltfish are a great summer food option in Katy. The restaurant itself is small and unassuming (and virtually always empty), but the food is true to Trinidad, and the servers are more than willing to help you choose what you want from the rather large menu. For beginners, try the boneless chicken curry and a beef pattie as a way to ease into the regional cuisine.
This story continues on the next page.Next Page
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Houston dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- New Restaurant Owners Think Tequila, Tacos and Cocktails Are the Keys to Success in...
- This Week in Houston Food Blogs: Spicy and Spotted Cocktails
- Between Review Visits, Brick & Mortar Kitchen Changed Completely, and Not for the...
- Behind The Brick & Mortar Kitchen Review: A Change on Your Part May Constitute an...