When it comes to rodeo food, some vendors obviously know what they're doing. Some who won last year were successful again this year and even won multiple awards.
In a hilarious turn of events, by far the entry that got the most attention was the scorpion, cricket and mealworm pizza by Swain's Fine Foods that sent rodeo officials, judges, reporters and photographers alike running to the "lucky" table. It didn't win anything more than curiosity, though.
The big winners included Stubby's Cinnamon Roll (with a whopping five awards) and Holmes Smokehouse, which won in three categories. Perennial favorite Custom Confections got two awards as well.
We've included the booth number below so it's easy to find the winning vendors when you go to the rodeo and livestock show. "RP" stands for "Reliant Park" (now NRG Park), "L" stands for the NRG Center lobby and KC stands for Kids Country.
Rodeo visitors can participate in the "I Ate All Eight" challenge for prizes. Try all eight first-place foods and you'll be eligible to receive a Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo T-shirt. Trying two winners earns a button, and with five you'll get a branded koozie. Punch cards are available in the Commercial Exhibits Committee office, and prizes can be redeemed at the Social Station in Hall D of NRG Center.
- 1st: Texas Skillet, RP30, Breakfast Cowboy Burrito
- 2nd: Stubby's Cinnamon Roll (2014 1st place Winner), L259, Big Stone Breakfast Sandwich
- 3rd: Texas Skillet 2, L247, Migas
- 1st: Stubby's Cinnamon Roll, L259, Original Cinnamon Roll
- 2nd: Triple J's Smokehouse (2014 1st place winner), KC501, Big J Potato
- 3rd Stubby's Cinnamon Roll, L247, Just Do It
Best Food on a Stick
- 1st: Holmes Smokehouse, RP60, Bacon Wrapped Sausage On A Stick
- 2nd: Granny's Cheesecake & More, L255, Chocolate-Dipped Cheesecake With Oreo Topping
- 3rd: Swain's Pizza On A Stick, KC504, Pizza On A Stick
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Best Fried Food
- 1st: Custom Confections, CD201, Fried Brownie Ball
- 2nd: Berryhill Baja Grill, RP85, Crispy Shrimp Tacos
- 3rd: Granny's Cheesecake and More, L255, Fried Cheesecake
Classic Fair Food
- 1st: Holmes Smokehouse, RP60, Gourmet Half-Pound Texas Burger
- 2nd: Cowboy Kettle Corn: Caramel Corn
- 3rd: Fletcher's Corny Dogs & Funnel Cakes, KC303: Original Corny Dog
- 1st: Belgian Waffles, KC306, Fried Sriracha Balls
- 2nd: Custom Confections, CD201, Frosty Bites (1st place winner in 2014)
- 3rd: Cowboy Kettle Corn, Fried Kettle Corn
- 1st: Holmes Smokehouse, RP60, Baked Potato with Meat
- 2nd: Cowboy Kettle Corn, Fried Kettle Corn
- 3rd: Go Tejano Diner, RP40, Burrito with beef, chicken, Spanish rice and beans
- 1st: Stubby's Cinnamon Roll, L259, The Works
- 2nd: Sills Funnel Cake, RP120, Banana Split Funnel Cake
- 3rd: Kettle Corn of Texas, KC506: Apple Chocolate Fried Pie
Best New Flavor