Three-Alarm Fire Breaks Out at Sorrento in Montrose
The fire was mostly extinguished by 10 a.m.
Photo by Craig Hlavaty
Five Houston Fire Department ladder trucks responded to a three-alarm fire that broke out this morning at Sorrento, a popular Italian restaurant on Lower Westheimer. The fire started at the restaurant around 9 a.m., and had been downgraded to a one-alarm fire by 10:30 a.m.
"No one hurt at Sorrento, hose going into the kitchen, maybe grease fire, not too bad from the outside, smells like plastic," Tweeted "Buffalo Sean" Carroll, whose crepe stand -- Melange Creperie -- is located only a few doors down from the Montrose restaurant.
Restaurant staff escaped unharmed from the fire.
Officials confirmed that no one was injured in the fire, which appears to have started in the kitchen. Calls to Sorrento were not immediately returned. We will update this post with more information as it comes in. The restaurant would, however, appear to be closed until further notice.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Houston dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.