For many dessert fiends, there's no sweeter marriage than peanut butter and chocolate. These days, however, it's hard to find restaurants and bakeries that serve this delectable combination. I'm not sure about the reason for this backlash, though I suspect it has something to do with the increasing number of young'uns who suffer from severe nut allergies. If that sounds like you, Jimmy or Susie, navigate away from this page right now. (You are probably already breaking out in hives from the pictures.) Everyone else, check out these five amazing chocolate peanut butter desserts in Houston.
5. Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcake at Sprinkles Cupcakes. Sprinkles offers two kinds of CPB cupcakes, both of which are made up of a wonderfully moist chocolate chip cake. What separates the varieties is the frosting, and my favorite crowns its base with peanut butter frosting, also known as Spreadable Sin.
4. Peanut Butter + Chocolate Milkshake at The Counter. The fine folks at The Counter offer a peanut butter shake and a chocolate milkshake. When their powers combine, you have one kick-ass cup of sweet liquid concrete. So, give the clerk a wink and smile and ask for half and half.
3. Peanut Butter Pie at Raven Grill. A deep layer of creamy peanut butter mousse atop a buttery, crunchy Oreo crust drizzled with chocolate syrup: simple yet sensational. One slice is rich enough to satisfy two people. Go for your own wedge, however, if you're intent on CPB overload.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
2. Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake Balls at Petite Sweets. The cuteness of these bonbons believes a heavy interior of dark chocolate cake mixed with peanut butter all encased in a sheath of milk chocolate dressed with crushed peanuts. Thank God the bakers at Petite Sweets don't sell them by the bagful. I might spend all my future Saturday nights popping them by the handful watching reruns of Mob Wives.
1. Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy Bar at Perry's Steakhouse. Perhaps more well-known for its pork chop, Perry's also has garnered a quiet following for its "candy bar," a dense block of milk chocolate peanut butter mousse topped with hot fudge, whipped cream, and candied peanuts. The perfect coda to a meal of porterhouse and martinis.