Top 5: Fast Food Chicken Dishes Done Right
You can't beat the Whatachicken.
When I indulge in fast food, you can generally count on me ordering something chicken. Here are my top five.
5. Hartz's Fried Chicken First off, I hate fast food fried chicken (think KFC buckets), but given the title of the piece, felt obligated to include at least one place. The winner--Hartz Chicken. Think of their version as the best of the worst. I haven't eaten it in years, but I do have some fond memories. The chicken always seemed like it wasn't sitting around for too long. Well, now that I think of it, they did serve buffet-style for the super fat-asses of the world. I'm sure that chicken sat around for a while. Anyway, the chicken is good, and the yeast rolls are out of this world. Sorry KFC, you will make no list of mine. About ten years ago, an explosively violent case of food poisoning from one of the mega-chain's Louisville, Kentucky (of all places) locations spelled the end of my fast-food fried chicken days.
4. Chick-Fil-A's Chick-n-Minis I'm a happy man. Last year for Christmas, Santa brought me a Chick-Fil-A off of 290/Tidwell. I am so thankful for the Chick-n-Minis. Have you had them? You're missing out if you haven't. These tiny, tasty morsels of chicken, wrapped in little sweet rolls, bring joy to any season. Why on earth do they only come in three- or four-counts? Maybe I need to order a party platter.
3. McDonald's Chicken McNuggets Save the speech. I know eating these shortens my life span. I know they get a bad rap. I know they contain chicken anus. But, I also know that they can at times be irresistible. I don't eat them often, but when I do, it's hard to stop. For a few years there, I'd order them for the big football game that takes place on Sunday and is very super. You know the one I'm talking about. I think a 50-piece cost $10. What a deal! And no, I didn't eat all 50 by myself.
2. Whataburger's Grilled Whatachicken Consistently good--the Whatachicken is the very best of fast food chicken sandwiches. McDonald's version tastes like ass, so does Wendy's, and we won't even get into Burger King's. The Whatachicken is well-seasoned, moist, and made when I order it--just like I like it.
1. Taco Cabana's Shredded Chicken Burrito Please pay close attention to this one. Get the shredded chicken, not the fajita chicken. The shredded chicken is the dark meat, the fajita chicken is the dried-out breast meat. Big difference, huge! You will find no better fast food chicken item in the Greater Houston area than this. I order this far too often than I care to admit, but they never disappoint. The rest of TC's food is average or worse, but their take on shredded chicken is worth a stop.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.