The renewed interest in classic cocktails has necessitated changes in drinking practices, specifically with regards to consumption rate. A potent mixed drink comprising half a cup or less of liquid is a beverage to be consumed in small, infrequent sips. Unless, of course, you're comfortable getting super tipsy in T-minus 60 minutes. Lingering over a Corpse Reviver #2 can certainly make for a lovely evening, but if you, like me, sometimes long for a cocktail that allows for more liberal gulps, check out these cocktails with more than 8 fluid ounces.
5. Long Island Iced Tea. In the past, I've lobbied for this drink, which when made well is deceptively light and definitely refreshing. Long Island Iced Teas are traditionally served in Collins glasses (about 11 ounces), but for additional girth order it "extra long" and tell the bartender to increase the cola and sour mix proportionally.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
4. Hurricane. It's perfectly fitting that a drink named for a type of storm characterized by heavy rainfall and flooding would involve a lotta liquid. The combination of light and dark rums plus various juices means your average Hurricane clocks in at about 14 ounces (a little less than the size of the eponymous official glassware), but I have spotted larger varieties in NOLA.
3. Charles Bronson. With more than five different whiskeys plus a pint of birch beer, the Charles Bronson might take you the entire night to finish and will most certainly get you hammered in the process. If you managed to fit all the components into one large unassuming plastic cup, you can might fool your friends into thinking you're actually being moderate that night.
2. The Shadow of the Colossus. The Super Big Gulp of mixed drinks, the Shadow of the Colossus seems like what a Viking might drink at brunch. Just one question for creator Mitch Hutts of The Drunken Moogle : where can I get that awesome 32-ounce mug?
1. Scorpion Bowl. Given the word bowl is in the title, it's little surprise this cocktail is very large and in charge. Technically, a Scorpion Bowl is meant to be shared with at least one other drinker. Well, "technically" a bowl of M&Ms is a group party snack but that doesn't stop me from eating the whole thing by myself in a dark corner.