Top 5 Kitchen Gadgets to Throw Out
Yesterday I looked at kitchen gadgets that truly have a positive impact on our culinary creations. Even though they may require some assembly and clean-up, they are well worth the energy and expenditure. Today, I'm looking at the flip side of the coin: the gadgets that collect dust in your kitchen cabinets because they are not even worth the effort of dragging them out. Here are my top five picks.
5. Garlic press: As a Cuban cook, I go through a ridiculous amount of garlic. Therefore I feel fully justified when I tell you to throw out your garlic peeler. There is no need for it. Get a big knife, use the side to smash the garlic, and the peel comes right off. I actually have a rock in my kitchen that I employ with excellent results.
4. Turkey baster: Unless you're a virgin trying to get pregnant, please throw out your turkey baster. Just brush on your liquid like a real cook, or ladle some on with a spoon. Seriously, at this point turkey basters are only good for dirty jokes.
3. Bagel slicer: Ok, if you really cannot slice a freaking bagel, you have problems. Luckily, they invented pre-sliced bagels just for you. Now throw out that tacky plastic thing that takes up precious shelf space.
2. Apple peeler: Do you really need something that looks like a medieval torture device to prepare your produce? I don't think so. Just use a knife and core and slice your apple like an adult. And unless you're baking it, don't peel it. And if you are peeling it, a simple vegetable peeler does in the job in under a minute.
1. Egg separator: I mean, really. A gadget to separate egg whites and yolks? If you cannot crack an egg and release the white on your own, you have no business cooking in the first place.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.