Top 5 Songs About Coffee To Celebrate National Coffee Day!
I need about a kiddie pool of coffee straight to my dome every morning.
National Coffee Day is September 29.
Most of us can't function without our morning cup, whether it's black, loaded with sugar and cream, or one of those $10 fancy-pants 20-ouncejobs. It's part of our morning routine, it's a ritual, it warms our souls and gets us moving. It's a social custom and a hangover remedy. Not only do we love coffee, but coffee also loves us.
There are health benefits associated with drinking java. A growing body of research shows that coffee drinkers, compared to nondrinkers, are less likely to have Type 2 diabetes, Parkinson's disease and dementia, and have fewer cases of certain cancers, heart rhythm problems and strokes. But coffee isn't proven to prevent those conditions.
"There is certainly much more good news than bad news, in terms of coffee and health," says Frank Hu, MD, MPH, PhD, nutrition and epidemiology professor at the Harvard School of Public Health. A recent study even found that drinking coffee may lower women's risk of depression, so guys, don't complain too much when your lady skips off to Starbucks -- you know, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."
To honor our most beloved beverage on its special day, we've compiled a list of our top 5 favorite songs about coffee.
5. Serge Gainsbourg - Couleur Café (1964)
4. Frank Sinatra - Coffee Song (1961)
3. Blur - Coffee & TV (1999)
2. Peggy Lee - Black Coffee (1956)
1. Otis Redding - Cigarettes & Coffee (1966)
Are you a coffee drinker? Is there a cup in your hand right now?
Where do you go to get your caffeine fix? Do you have a favorite coffee shop or are you the brew-at-home type? Let us know in the comments section!
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Houston dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Houston's 5 Best Weekend Food Bets, Plus One More (for America!)
- Upcoming Houston Food Events: A Reverse Beer Dinner With Kevin & Chris
- Openings and Closings in Houston: Bramble (and the Return of Randy Rucker) Arriving Soon
- 100 Favorite Houston Dishes 2015: No. 85, Hunter's Honey Roasted Duck At Brennan's of...