The barely three-month-old Underbelly is coming out of the gate strong, and is now ready to host its first beer dinner.
Chef Chris Shepherd is joining forces with Austin-based brewery Jester King to create a five-course menu of what Shepherd calls his "traditional Houston-inspired food." Beer pairings from Hay Merchant's Kevin Floyd will feature "interesting and rare offerings from Jester King including barrel-aged farmhouse releases and collaborations with other breweries." The dinner will take place on Thursday, June 7, at 6:30 p.m, with 36 seats available at $85 per person. Call 713-528-9800 for reservations.
If you've been enjoying Erin Hicks Miller's Houston Classic series of books (which include Houston Classic Desserts and Houston Classic Mexican Recipes), go tell the author herself when she'll be signing copies of Houston Classic Seafood this Saturday, May 19, from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Westpark Kroger (5150 Buffalo Speedway).
This coming Wednesday, the City Hall Farmers Market will be hosting a celebration of Houston's arts scene from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at City Hall (901 Bagby). In addition to the regular rotation of 30 food vendors and farmers, the market will also feature the following arts groups throughout the afternoon:
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- Theater Under The Stars will have register-to-wins and special offers for market attendees. Its production of The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas opens on June 5.
- Alley Theatre will pass out special ticket offers for its production of Noises Off, which opens May 30. It will also have information about its Young Performers Studio.
- SPA (Society for the Performing Arts) Houston will promote the three-time Tony Award-winning production of FELA!, coming to Jones Hall June 5-10.
- Da Camera will celebrate its 2012/2013 25th-anniversary season of chamber music and jazz concerts.
- Houston Symphony will promote their Summer Concert series, which includes ten free concerts in the Houston community and Symphony Summer in the City concerts, which begin July 6.
- Empty Bowls Houston will preview handcrafted bowls to promote their event on Saturday, May 26, at Houston Center for Contemporary Craft benefiting Houston Food Bank. Bowls will be for sale and potters on site to demo how they make their bowls.
- Houston Center for Contemporary Craft will promote their Hands-On Houston series in which an artist teaches participants a new craft the first Saturday of every month.
And even though it's primarily known as a whiskey bar, that isn't stopping Reserve 101 from hosting a free Karbach tasting this Tuesday, May 22. If you've yet to taste the beers from one of Houston's newest and biggest microbreweries, head out to Reserve 101 at 6:30 p.m. for a free tasting. It'll surely beat your regular happy hour spot.