Upcoming Events: Somm-vasion at Phil's Wine Lounge and More
A guest sommelier series will be taking place every other Wednesday at Philippe.
Photo by Troy Fields
The brand-new Phil's Wine Lounge downstairs at Philippe is breaking in its boots by launching a Guest Sommelier Series starting February 6. Hosted by Vanessa Trevino Boyd -- resident sommelier at Philippe and last year's Best of Houston® winner for Best Sommelier -- the series will feature intimate, informal round-table tastings from some of Houston's favorite somms. The cost is $40 per person and will include four wines and a cheese board. The first tasting, A Trip to Austria, will be led by Fred Jones of The Pass & Provisions, from 6 to 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, February 6.
The series will take place every Wednesday at the same time, same place, with the following line-up of other guest somms already confirmed:
- February 20: Cutting-Edge California Chardonnays with Jason Sherman of Brennan's
- March 6: Syrah is Back with David Keck of Uchi
- March 20: Sparkling Wine--Its Non-Champagne Counterparts with James Watkins
- April 3: Ungrafted: Wines from Deep Vines with Christian Varas of River Oaks Country Club
- April 17: Bandol: The New Uber-Hip Wines with Kelly McCloud of Fleming's Steakhouse
- May 1: Italy Off the Beaten Path with Adele Corrigan of 13 Celsius
Seating for each tasting is limited to 15 people; to reserve your spot, email email@example.com.
Here's your plan for lunch or dinner next Wednesday: Head to Latin Bites Cafe and help chef Roberto Castre and his crew celebrate their three-year anniversary on January 23. The Peruvian restaurant will be offering food and drink specials all day long, including $5 Latin cocktails (margaritas, mojitos, sangria, pisco sours and caipirinhas), $3 beers, $5 wines, and 50 percent off hot and cold bites. In addition, every third guest at a table will eat for free (includes appetizer and entrée). As a reminder, Latin Bites is open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and again from 5:30 to 10 p.m.
Still haven't been to L'Olivier yet? An upcoming dinner on Friday, February 1 featuring the wines of O'Brien Estate Winery in Napa Valley might just be the perfect introduction to Olivier Ciesielski's food at the Lower Westheimer spot. The four-course meal - which starts at 7 p.m. - features Ciesielski's ceviche, a quail salad, roasted pork loin and a tournedo of beef with morel sauce alongside wines from Bart and Barb O'Brien. The cost is $99 per person, which doesn't include tax or tip. Call 713-360-6313 for reservations.
Speaking of wine, Adair Kitchen is offering a special for Valentine's Day - whether you're celebrating with a loved one or a group of friends. Owners Nick Adair and Katie Adair Barnhart are offering all wines by the bottle at half price on Valentine's Day - Thursday, February 14, if you needed a reminder - from 5 to 10 p.m.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Houston dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- New Restaurant Owners Think Tequila, Tacos and Cocktails Are the Keys to Success in...
- This Week in Houston Food Blogs: Spicy and Spotted Cocktails
- Between Review Visits, Brick & Mortar Kitchen Changed Completely, and Not for the...
- Behind The Brick & Mortar Kitchen Review: A Change on Your Part May Constitute an...