What The Hell is That? Thanksgiving Edition
Flesh colored Jell-O is never (*ever*) okay.
All photos from daniellespencer.com
New York artist Danielle Spencer
(a.k.a. Mrs. Russell Crowe) crafted her first faux Thanksgiving spread in 2005 using a Cornish game hen form, peach Jell-O, and evaporated milk. That initial flesh-colored mass (atop a bed of pomegranate seeds) would inspire the Turkey-shaped Jell-O Mold Competition, an annual event showcasing various artist interpretations of the holiday. All entries must be crafted entirely of food and utilize the original turkey mold. Check out our top 10 overall, featured below.
10. Smoreky (2008) Self explanatory.
9. Mountain Dew Turkey (2007) A timeless trailer-park classic.
8. Guac-a-Bird (2007) David Byrne (yes, that guy from the Talking Heads) used avocado gelatin to achieve the unsettling jaundiced hue.
7. Turkey Alla Vodka (2009) Thanksgiving meets Spring Break.
6. Bubby's Matzoh Turkey (2008) Oy vey.Next Page
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Houston dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.