Whose Black Truffle Dish Will Reign Supreme? 20 Houston Chefs Compete in the First Annual Truffle Chef of the Year Challenge
Twenty Houston-area chefs are set to compete in the 1st Annual Truffle Chef of the Year Challenge this Monday, January 12, 2015.
Photos courtesy of the Truffle of the Year Challenge
This coming Monday, there's a one-of-a-kind event -- the first ever in Houston -- that you're not going to want to miss. Titled the Truffle Chef of the Year Challenge, the friendly competition pits 20 of Houston's best chefs against each other in a battle for the best dish featuring freshly shaved black truffles, which are prized for their earthy, sensuous aromas.
This is the first year that the event is being held. Roederer USA, an importer of truffles and the title sponsor, is donating all of the fresh black truffles for the event. The winning chef, determined by a panel of judges in a blind tasting, will receive a prize of one kilogram's worth of fresh black truffles (valued at $1,500).
Fresh black truffles will be donated by Roederer USA.
Photo courtesy of Roederer USA
The exclusive event is limited to 200 attendees. There are two categories of tickets, which include VIP (one hour early admission, plus some take-home gifts) and regular admission. All attendees will have a chance to sample each of the 20 entrants' offerings, as well as a selection of wine tastings. The competing chefs have also donated dinners of four to their respective restaurants, which will be available for bid via silent auction. There will also be a raffle drawing for a black truffle dinner for eight prepared by chef Elizabeth Stone.
Limited numbers of tickets are still available for this amazing event, so get your tickets while you can. Proceeds from the event will be donated to the Les Dames d'Escoffier scholarship program, a worldwide philanthropic society of professional women leaders in the fields of food, fine beverages and hospitality.
Event details: When: Monday, January 12, 2015, 6:30pm-9:30pm Where: The National Tree & Shrub Nursery in the Heights Who: 20 area chefs, Cost: $150 general admission, $200 VIP admission To purchase tickets, visit http://roedererusa.com/houston-truffle-chef-challenge/
- Fritz Gitschner of 60 Degress Mastercrafted
- David Cordúa of América's
- Efisio Farris of Arcodoro
- Arturo Boada of Arturo Boada Cuisine
- Javier Lopez of Brennan's of Houston
- JohnMichael Lynch of Ristorante Cavour at the Hotel Granduca
- Brandi Key of Coppa Osteria
- Steve Haug of Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House
- David Skinner of Eculent Modern Farm to Table
- Philippe Veripand of Étoile Cuisine et Bar
- Kenneth Burke of Ibiza Food & Wine Bar
- Aaron Allen of The Inn at Dos Brisas
- Kiran Verma of Kiran's Indian Cuisine
- Kris Jacob of Kris Bistro
- Adison Le of KUU Restaurant
- Olivier Ciesielski of L'Olivier
- David Denis of Le Mistral
- Michael Pellegrino of Max's Wine Dive
- Elizabeth Stone of SilverStone Events
- Manuel Pucha of Table on Post Oak
- Jason Grigar of Urban Eats
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Houston dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.