You have two options for St. Patrick's day attire: full leprechaun regalia or a tasteful touch of green to let your inner Irish -- real or symbolic -- shine through.
There is something to be said for the full-on wearin'-o-the-green. It's definitely a conversation starter, and if you are ethnically Irish on both sides of your family (or just a giant Notre Dame fan), it probably feels mandatory. But for those of us who want to participate in St. Patrick's Day without necessarily looking like we mixed up our holidays with that October one, let's take a look at some stylish ways to scream I'M IRISH TODAY, TOO, DAMMIT. Only whisper it.
If only guys still wore pocket squares with any regularity. You could celebrate just about any color-related holiday you liked and look dapper doing it. These days a green tie, or a shirt with a green stripe, will probably have to suffice.
• Caputo & Co. Triple Wrap Leather Bracelet by J. Crew ($85): Made in Guatemala in collaboration with Comunidades de la Tierra. Cool and casual, and wearable all the other 364 days a year.
• Billy Reid at Neiman Marcus, Pensacola Striped Jersey Polo (Blue/Green, $78): Perfect for spring, with a four-button placket and mother-of-pearl buttons.
• Ralph Lauren Navy English Rep Tie in Navy/Green ($125): Classic, elegant and made in Italian silk, so don't get anything on it. No one has to know the word "English" is in the name. Bow-tie guy? This Ralph Lauren vintage print in green/purple ($80) is funky.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Green seems like a tough color to wear, so when in doubt, go for deep, rich hues rather than pastels. Think emerald, newly mowed lawn and bright neons.
• Banana Republic's new Mad Men Collection is absolutely chock-full of fabulous greens -- so hard to pick! If you're feeling confident, go for the Tipped Shift Dress ($125) with white contrast borders that make it very mod. Too much? You will get a lot of use out of this sleek clutch in Kelly green ($98) long after all the green beer has been drunk.
• As long as we're going retro, we might as well stop by Shabby Apple, where they have what is quite possibly the cutest gingham skirt ever made, in jade/white ($55).
• We may as well come full circle and end on this three-quarter-sleeve Tippi Sweater from J. Crew ($80) in Tropical Green. Shiny peach short-shorts optional.