Looking back at the most popular posts this year on Art Attack is almost like looking back at the memes and pop culture memories that shaped 2011. A cultural zeitgeist, if you will. We'll always remember the time we found out Arnold Schwarzenegger wasn't the good guy action hero we grew up with, and when we discovered that porn stars post nekkid pictures of themselves on their Twitter and Tumblr profiles. This year, you guys were super into video games and B-list actors. Oh yeah, and nudity. Lots and lots of nudity.
10. 5 Actors Who are Never, Ever Going to Get Their Due -- Look, America worships its actors, both the stars and the underdogs. The former shine brilliantly as proof of the American dream of fame and fortune. The latter we hold dear as guardians of secret brilliance the masses are too sheeplike to ever understand the genius of. Still, there are some who are just continually going to get the shaft no matter how gifted they are.
9. The Best (Worst?) Pictures of Arnold Schwarzenegger Ever -- Remember when we found out that the governor fathered a child ten years ago with a household maid that his family had hired.
8. Five Capcom Characters You Won't See in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 -- Most of the characters mentioned here are actually pretty damn awesome. It's just that for one reason or another, they will never see the light of day again.
7. Defending Nicolas Cage -- We remember Cage and James Caan in Honeymoon in Vegas with Sarah Jessica Parker, back when she was still massively attractive, and not the boner-killing shrew from Sex and the City.
6. Pop Rocks: 10 TV Characters Who Have Overstayed Their Welcome -- For all the dutiful effort by the networks to provide more white noise to distract us from the increasing desperation of our painfully ordinary lives, there are dozens of shows, and characters, that outlasted their shelf life long, long ago.
5. Sexiest Tumblr Blogs (NSFW) -- The best thing about Tumblr isn't just the ease of use, the overabundance of cat pictures, or the constant barrage of memes (or even the chicks in Star Wars shirts); no, it's the naked folks.
4. The Best of TV Soft-Core (NSFW) -- You know you loved these shows--after it got dark and everyone else in the house went to bed, those soft-core wonders of cock-socks and strategically placed hands.
3. Top Five: Porn Stars We Follow on Twitter -- Some people follow pro athletes and musicians on Twitter. Some people follow porn stars. Like we do.
2. The Best Pop-Culture Porn Parodies Today (NSFW) -- Of all the porn parodies we as a smut-loving nation could have asked for, we end up getting a hardcore version of The Simpsons, complete with body paint, blue hair, and Homer and Marge doing things onscreen that would make Reverend Lovejoy and Ned Flanders turn red with embarrassment (or at least ask to join).
1. The Best Nude Scenes of the Past Ten Years (NSFW) -- The past cinematic decade has been pretty naked, if we must say. Blame having to compete with the Internet and cable television for the increasing proclivity to nudity among many mainstream actors and actresses.
Keep the Houston Press Free... Since we started the Houston Press, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Houston, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Houston with no paywalls.