For the past 20 years, British comedy has seen a major influx of female comediennes. However, none have been more popular than the duo of Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders. Their satirical sketch show, French and Saunders, hit the BBC2 airwaves on March 9, 1989, and lasted for seven seasons.
The show became famous for spawning a sitcom based off one of their sketches, Absolutely Fabulous, which has since gained a cult following in the United States.
Famous shows aside, the thing that makes French and Saunders work is the fact that they're both great actresses. Sometimes they don't look like the subjects they are satirizing, but still manage to make it funny.
10. Madonna and Missy Elliott Gap commercial / "Me Against the Music" with Britney Spears parody "What am I doing here in Hollywood / I've been in movies and I'm not that good" -- never have truer words been spoken in regards to Madge's acting career. Regardless of which side of the Atlantic you're on, one thing is for certain: You can never have enough Madonna parodies. High point: When Madonna impales herself with a cane. Bottom line: It hurts for anyone to get hurt in the groin -- not just men.
9. Fleetwood Mac Fleetwood Mac is one of the greatest rock bands of all time. Though French does a pretty good impression of Stevie Nicks, it's Saunders who steals the show as a clumsy version of keyboardist Christine McVie.
8. Celine Dion Remember that time Ana Gasteyer parodied Celine Dion on Saturday Night Live back in 1998? Well, this one is equally as funny as Gasteyer's portrayal. Jennifer Saunders has a pretty good singing voice. Celine Dion does not.
7. French and Saunders Shopping Channel Jewelry is, at least for some, a hit-or-miss ordeal. However, this jewelry probably shouldn't be bought by anyone. Nevertheless, it would still be funny to see French and Saunders do a segment on the real QVC channel. 6. The Matrix One of the greatest strengths of this comedic duo is how they incorporate physical comedy into their act.
5. Gordon Ramsay The whole world knows that it doesn't take much to anger chef Gordon Ramsey. However, any food critic or foodie would be insane to eat at Jennifer Saunders's version of his restaurant.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
4. Modern Mother and Daughter This is the sketch that launched the internationally popular show Absolutely Fabulous. One thing you must love about this sketch is how Jennifer Saunders is dressed. She looks like she raided the wardrobe of some '90s hipster and then in the process raided Flavor Flav's accessories.
3. Generation Gap What happens when you get Oscar winner Helen Mirren, Absolutely Fabulous's Julia Sawalha and Jennifer Saunders in the same room? You get Absolutely Fabulous in reverse. One of the greatest things about this particular sketch is Mirren trying to keep a straight face throughout the scene.
2. The Madonnas Remember that time when Madonna tried to write a children's book called The English Roses and tried to be British? It was a rather forgettable chapter of her life.
1. Baywatch Their take on one of the worst dramatic television series ever made is overacting and jiggle television at its best. Oh, and be sure to check out Dawn French as Pamela Anderson.