This Friday, Jackass 3-D arrives at a theater near you. With it, the chieftains of stupid rise above the 2-D world and celebrate 10 years of kicking each other in the balls. Johnny Knoxville is apparently sober now, so watching him do stupid stuff should be even more painful.
In honor of the Jackass franchise's return, here are the top five stupid (but fantastic) movies about stupid people:
5. Zoolander This almost-worthless 2001 film might not be funny the first time you watch it (or the second), but for some reason after the third time it gets good. The trailer pretty much shows all the funny parts, but it's somehow still worth watching a fourth time. Male models at their most stupid.
4. Anything Starring Chris Farley RIP, big boy.
3. Dumb and Dumber By far the most stupid movie of the '90s. Haven't laughed at a fart joke in a while? Watch it.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to the mission of the Houston Press. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Houston’s stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
2. Monty Python and the Holy Grail The grandfathers of absurdist sketch-comedy set the pace for generations to come in this supremely silly re-telling of the Arthurian legend. Loved by generations that reject the film at age 18, and then rediscover it when they get over the fact that stupid things can be funny, this film is a treasure to be shared with all. People in the middle ages were truly stupid, but absurd comedy prevails.
1. This Is Spinal Tap Most rock stars are fairly stupid--at least stupid to a point at which rock stars that speak coherent sentences are deemed intelligent. Rob Reiner pushes the limits of the hair-metal community's limited intelligence. Infinitely quotable, this 1984 gem will remain on our DVD shelves indefinitely.