After a month of hum-drum inspections citywide, somebody lit a fire under Health Department workers last week, and they found some truly epic violators.
The longest list of citations came at Fish Place (11550 Gulf Fwy.), where an October 5 visit found an amazing 19. The inspectors found equipment in poor condition or with toxic surfaces, as well as plenty of plumbing issues and contamination problems between different types of foods and the ice machine.
An October 4 visit to Shalamar Restaurant (15142 Old Galveston Road) found nine violations, among them that effective measures intended to ward off roaches and rodents were not used and that some equipment was not cleaned often enough to keep it free of dust, dirt or other debris.
At El Rincon Mexicano (987 Federal Drive), inspectors visited October 4 to find eight citations in the front kitchen and two in the rear kitchen. Food was not protected from contamination by sneezes, coughs, rodents, roaches and myriad other threats, and potentially hazardous foods were not stored cold enough or hot enough to keep them safe.
Four other restaurants racked up an unlucky seven violations each, all having been visited as the result of a complaint:
• Frenchy's (11631 Southwest Fwy.) was closed for a day after its October 6 visit; • Lam Bo (6159 Westheimer) stayed open after its inspection that day; • Sonic (5902 Hillcroft) stayed open after an October 4 visit; and • Bundu Khan Kabab House (11887 Bissonnet) did, as well.