The sweaty season is upon us and when rehydrating I can't stand anything warmer than room temperature (of your average apartment during winter in Siberia). Just because the weather calls for chilled drinks doesn't mean certain beverages are off-limits; here are five beverages usually served hot that taste just as good (or better!) cold.
5. Coffee. No better pick-me-up when you're straggling in the middle of a humid afternoon, especially with a splash of cold cream. As a relatively inexperienced coffee drinker, I can't comment on the various merits of different cold-brewing processes, though I will say that using ice cubes made out of coffee seems like a pretty good idea unless you like your java watery.
4. Mulled Wine. You don't have to wait until December to enjoy some hearty and refreshing mulled wine. Use those spice packets leftover from the holidays (or make your own) to make this boozy brew. Cool to room temperature after seasoning is fully absorbed, then refrigerated until chilled.
This story continues on the next page.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to the mission of the Houston Press. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Houston’s stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
3. Apple Cider. The bad news is that it can be a bit tricky to find apple cider in the grocery store in the summer. The good news is that when you do the price won't be jacked up due to seasonal demand. Serve on the rocks with a lemon slice or create your own Arnold Palmer variation by mixing it with iced tea.
2. Chai. Homemade is best (duh), but many stores offer decent mixes and fully-made chilled versions in the refrigerated section. As in the case with iced coffee, be aware that loading your chai with ice cubes will dilute your drink; these instructions are useful for making your own cubes actually out of chai.
1. Hot Chocolate. New York City's Serendipity pioneered what is now probably the most famous frozen hot chocolate on the planet. Theirs is an insanely rich beverage liable to make your ice roll make in your head. Simpler, less cloying chilly cocoa can be easily made at home.