Izakaya is a worthy addition to Midtown—and to Houston’s culinary scene. It brings a Japanese izakaya concept that is nonetheless tailored to Houston tastes. Plates are small but priced accordingly and the same goes for the drinks. It’s great fun to order several dishes and share with friends. The can’t-miss items here are too many to list, but here are just a few. The Hamachi Crudo is topped with a pile of teeny, crispy sardines that add a popcorn-like crunch while the Bacon Mochi, with its smoky meat and chewy rice balls, is an instant classic. Every once in a while, there’s a dish that misses the mark (the kimchi greens that come with Izakaya’s take on chicken fried steak are far superior than the steak itself) but those errors are so few and far between that they are easily forgiven. At an izakaya, the drinks are as important as the food and there are plenty to play with here. There’s something for every taste, whether it be beer, wine, cocktails or sake.
- Price: $$, $$$
- Hours: Monday-Thursday 11 a.m.-3 p.m., 5-10 p.m.; Friday 11 a.m.-3 p.m., 5-11 p.m.; Saturday 12-11 p.m.; Sunday 12-10 p.m.
- Alcohol: Full bar
- Reservations: Recommended
- Parking: Garage available, On-street
- Extra Services: Private-group dining
- Grocery & retail items for sale
- Order/delivery via DoorDash
- Order/delivery via Uber Eats