Decent Tex-Mex may be as plentiful as traffic jams here in Houston, but when it comes to authentic Mexican tamales, one need look no further than La Mexicana in Montrose, which has been there for more than a quarter of a century. Their homemade tamales are nothing short of spectacular. They always taste fresh and have generous doses of pepper and chile powder. The casual atmosphere of the outdoor patio are also a nice change of pace from the eternally overcrowded new kids on the block.
- Price: $, $$
- Hours: Sunday-Monday 7 a.m.-9 p.m.; Tuesday-Thursday 7 a.m.-10 p.m.; Friday-Saturday 7 a.m.-11 p.m.
- Outdoor seating: Open-air patio
- Alcohol: Full bar
- Reservations: Not necessary, Recommended
- Parking: Lot available
- Extra Services: Catering
- Order/delivery via DoorDash
- Order/delivery via Grubhub
- Use restaurant website to order/pay