Welcome back to yet another installment of our semi-famous Magnolia City Mixtape. Rocks Off works hard to scrape every barnacle of local music news from our ship that sails the high seas of the Internet - or something like that.
Slim Thug welcomed everyone back to Texas for the Super Bowl by dropping a new mixtape, appropriately titled Welcome To Texas Vol. 2. Grab it for this week's soundtrack.
How about some upcoming shows? The big news is Wild Moccasins' (above) European tour kick-off that'll see them gone until mid-April. That's at Fitzgerald's, with Young Mammals and Wicked Poseur starting off Saturday night. Here are some other concerts that piqued our interest:
- It's no secret that Rocks Off was quite awestruck by Big Freedia at Fun Fun Fun Fest last November. Find out just what the promise of "Azz Everywhere" means at Fitz tonight.
- In addition to all that azz, The Canvas Waiting, Holy Fiction, Finnegan, and The Shallows will be at Fitz tonight.
- Hearts of Animals hasn't played much in the past year and a half, but Mlee will be making an appearance at Rudyard's Saturday, with Fiskadoro and Christopher Cascio.
- While the Moccasins charm the pants off everybody upstairs, Glasnost, Fresh Millions, and Knifight will be inciting dancing downstairs Saturday.
- California's The Red River drops in to The Mink on Sunday night. Check out the Tiny Desk concert they did for NPR.