This week back in 1980, the rock world lost a good one. John Bonham, the fantastic, heavy-footed drummer for Led Zeppelin was found dead in bed in Jimmy Page's Windsor manor house.
It was an ugly end for Bonzo. A longtime heavy drinker -- particularly when separated from his family -- Bonham had consumed 40 shots of vodka in the day before he died. That was no remarkable number for Bonham, which made his death all the more astonishing. Frankly, there's no pleasant way to recount what happened next: The drummer expired by choking to death on his own vomit.
What's awful is that famous rock stars drowning in puke was already something of a sad cliché by then.