A botched heist kills the husbands of Veronica (Viola Davis), Linda (Michelle Rodriguez), Alice (Elizabeth Debicki) and Amanda (Carrie Coon). Each has a problem beyond the loss of their spouses: Linda's husband stole all her money; Alice's ex beat the shit out of her; Amanda is raising a 4-month-old infant. And Veronica, well, even though her real job is leading the Chicago teachers' union, the heist leaves her with a debt -- her husband (Liam Neeson) stole money from a gang.
McQueen, working off a Gillian Flynn script, allows every character just enough depth, exactly the right amount of screen time, to demonstrate why they deserve the money. That remains the case as the story gets more complex -- more connected to real life -- than is typical for the heist genre. Davis, of course, is a powerhouse, but the ensemble of women actors here, each flinty in her own way, play off each other with such spark that it sent a shiver down my arms when they gathered together.
- Thu. 20
- 20131 Highway 59 N., Humble, TX 77338
- 11801 S. Sam Houston Parkway E, Houston, TX 77089
- 5000 Katy Mills Circle, Katy, TX 77494
- 11225 Fountain Lake Dr., Stafford, TX 77477
- 2949 Dunvale, Houston, TX 77063
- 17145 Tomball Parkway, Houston, TX 77064
- 15900 Yorktown Crossing Parkway, Houston, TX 77084
- 3839 Weslayan, Houston, TX 77005
- 7620 Katy Freeway, Houston, TX 77024