Ask Willie D

I Want My Man to Prove He's Divorced. Help!

Welcome to Ask Willie D, Rocks Off's advice column where the Geto Boys MC answers reader questions about matters, in his own words, "funny, serious or unpredictable." Something on your mind? Ask Willie D!


Dear Willie D:

In December of 2016, my boyfriend and I plan to get married. I'm however having second thoughts, because he has yet to produce a divorce decree from his previous marriage. When I ask him about it, he states he is indeed divorced, but the thought of coming up with the decree brings up some not so good moments.

I'm sure no one likes rehashing those kinds of memories, but I'm only asking for proof of it so that I can have peace of mind once we get married. I don't want to be one of those wives who has to risk losing everything we've worked hard for to someone who may feel like they're entitled to something that's not rightfully theirs.

I've given him until the end of next month to produce the decree, or I am willing to end it with him should he not come up with it. Am I overreacting? Am I taking it too far? Will, I just want peace of mind and to ensure I'm legally protecting what's ours.

KEEP THE HOUSTON PRESS FREE... Since we started the Houston Press, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Houston, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.
Willie D is a member of the legendary hip hop band, the Geto Boys, the host and executive producer of the Willie D Live podcast, and an advice columnist for the Houston Press since 2013.
Contact: Willie D