It's one of God's little jokes that no matter how hard we try, we really can only do one thing at a time. Certain tasks always seem to get relegated to the back burner, and for Rocks Off, for some reason, it's the mail. I think it has something to do with believing that as long as you don't open a bill, it's OK not to pay it. Ask Ford Credit about that one.
Anyhow, from time to time I do clear out the crates, and I thought it would be fun to keep a record here. This is what's come across the transom in the past two or three weeks, so all you publicists can relax. I do get around to opening the mail eventually. See below for the key to all those funny letters.
* Girl Talk, Feed the Animals (Warehouse Live, Oct. 18) I-D * Portugal the Man, Censored Colors (Meridian, Oct. 18) I Capricorns, River, Bear Your Bones Brit-M Subways, All or Nothing Brit-Pu-R I Am Ghost, Those We Leave Behind Pu-R-M Blood Ceremony, Blood Ceremony I-E-R The Sea & Cake, Car Alarm Exp-I-R-J Bill Madden, Child of the Same God I-F-R ** Ani DiFranco, Red Letter Year I-F-Pu * Walter Meego, Voyager (Rudyard's, Oct. 4) I-D-R People in Planes, Beyond the Horizon Brit-I-R Lee Ritenour and Dave Grusin, Amparo J * Spiritualized, Songs in A&E (Meridian, Sept. 26) R-E-Psy
Patty Loveless,Sleepless Nights
* All That Remains,Overcome
(House of Blues, Nov. 30) M
Natalie Cole,Still Unforgettable
** The Shondes,The Red Sea
Wreckless Eric & Amy Rigby,Wreckless Eric & Amy Rigby
(The Mink, Sept. 14) I-F-R
* The Stills,Oceans Will Rise
(Verizon Wireless Theater, Oct. 28) R
Parts & Labor,Receivers
** Frontier Brothers,Spacepunk Starlet
Castanets,City of Refuge
B.B. King,One Kind Favor
* Of Montreal,Skeletal Lamping
(Warehouse Live, Nov. 12) I-E-F-P
Worth a Damn (Maybe)... to Somebody Else
* New Monsoon, V (Warehouse Live, Sept. 20) R-P * Sing It Loud, Come Around (House of Blues, Nov. 9) P-Pu-R Various Artists, The Rough Guide to Latin Lounge P-L-J Various Artists, Seprewa Kasa W Kreesha Turner, Don't Call Me Baby... The Remixes P-RB-D Luke Denton, Luke Denton F-R Akim el Sikameya, Introducing Akim el Sikameya W ** Dar Williams, Promised Land F-P * BLVD, Music for People (Club DubDub, Oct. 4) I-D * Mickey Hart & Zakir Hussein, Global Drum Project (Cullen Theater, Oct. 19) W * Jessica Lea Mayfield, With Blasphemy So Heartfelt (Meridian, Sept. 30) I-F-P Josh Rouse, The Best of the Ryko Years F-R-P Dub Colossus, A Town Called Addis Re-W Bette Midler, Jackpot: The Best Bette P-J
Jay K, All Aboard the Obama Train F-R-C-B * Mechanical Boy, Play Along P-R (Fitzgerald's, Sept. 12) Kenny Rogers, 50 Years C Moodafaruka, Essential Moodafaruka; Who R U? RB-L-J-W Kristine Mills, Playing With the Big Boys - Live! J-P-B Solange Knowles, Sol-Angel and the Hadley St. Dreams P-D-RB Oppressed by the Line, Soft Focus I-E-Psy
Not So Much
* Jackopierce, Promise of Summer (Warehouse Live, Oct. 11) F-P * New Kids on the Block, The Block (Toyota Center, Oct. 16) P-D Stephen Pearcy, Under My Skin P-R-M
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
The Sound of Animals Fighting, The Ocean & the Sun I-E-F Shawn Lee & Clutchy Hopkins, Clutch of the Tiger I-Rap * I Set My Friends on Fire, You Can't Spell Slaughter Without Laughter (Javajazz, Dec. 6) Fools & Horses, I Am the Ghost I-P-R Mark Sinnis, Into an Uncertain Future F-C * Delta Spirit, Ode to Sunshine (Walter's on Washington, Sept. 11) I-R-RB Mad Buffalo, Wilderness R-C-F
Get Thrashed: The Story of Thrash Metal M 924 Gilman St.: Let's Talk About Tact and Timing Pu
We'll do this again soon - as soon as we let the mail pile up again. Now on to the next step - actually listening to some of these things... - Chris Gray