The hip-hop world is a less than sensible place - lots of times, you're even required to clarify when bad means bad and when bad means good - so once a week we're going to get with a rapper and ask them to explain things. Have something you always wanted to ask a rapper? Email it to email@example.com.
This Week's Rapper: Jay Young
This Week's Subject(s): Dedication tracks
Ask A Rapper: All right, sir. So we've got some interview questions for you -- actually, it's really just one question that requires multiple responses. So here's what's up:
Did you see that Eminem let leak a track he dedicated to Proof, his friend who passed away a few years ago? If you didn't, you can hear it here. Anyway, so the question is this: Name your five favorite "I Dedicate This To My Friend/Family Member Who Died" tracks.
As always, extra credit is given to any Houston picks that make the list.
Jay Young: I would have to say:
1. UGK, "One Day": [This] has hit close to home on a few occasions. I got homies that I may have been chilling with one day and the next day - or in some cases a couple of hours later - I get a call telling me they're gone. Songs and instances like that remind me of how short life is.
2. Tupac, "Life Goes On": I remember jamming a lot of Pac when my father passed. I was trying to use music to help me cope with his death, and "Life Goes On" was one of the main songs I would jam daily during this time period
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to the mission of the Houston Press. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Houston’s stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
3. Fat Pat, "Miss Our G's": I just always got this eerie feeling listening to this song, knowing Fat Pat never got to live to see the release of that album.
4. Master P feat. Pimp C, "I Miss My Homies"
5. DRS, "Gangsta Lean": [This] is like the perfect R.I.P. song. I think I was in 6th grade when this song came out and my potna's older brother got killed and I remember all his homies banging this song in they rides after the funeral. There are more songs that come to me but those are 5 tracks that stood out to me.
Follow Jay Young on Twitter at @JAtotheYYoung.