5. "Baila Esta Cumbia" Such a fun song, you can't help but dance to this lively cumbia. And creepy TV host aside, she looks stunning and sexy in this video. I was fortunate enough to meet Selena many, many years ago at Six Flags Astroworld, and her beauty in person was breathtaking. I also saw her famous performances at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. She was gorgeous, but you already knew that.
4. La Carcacha Los Dinos, who were Selena's band, really gets down with "La Carcacha". One of her best and most complete songs, a real gem of Tejano music that can be played as you cruise in your lowrider, at a quinceañera, or at a family bar-b-que. The keyboards, guitar, and timbales breakdown is top notch.
3. Bidi Bidi Bom Bom I'm not sure if having your heart go "Bidi Bidi Bom Bom" is the healthiest thing ever, but if Selena is okay with it, then I am, too.
2. "Como La Flor" "Pero aaahhhh-aaaaa-ayyy, como me duele!"
1. "Amor Prohibido" In perhaps what is Selena's most personal song, she sings about a forbidden love that she is determined to make a life with, regardless of the consequences. In real life, her husband Chris Perez lived through the heartache of loving and losing Selena after the protest of her family. I spoke to Chris Perez in 2012 while he was in Houston promoting his book To Selena, With Love. You can see the conclusion of the interview below.
This story is adapted from an article that originally ran on our sister music blog at OC Weekly, Heard Mentality.
ROCKS OFF'S GREATEST HITS